PHOENIX — Arizona has been in a drought for 17 years and Arizona State University climate expert Randy Cerveny said it’s now completely in the hands of Mother Nature as to when it will all end.
Things don’t get better when the Valley received only one rainstorm over the entire winter. Cerveny said, without that March 1 soaking, we’d be in desperate shape but it didn’t put a dent in the drought.
“That storm helped a bit but we need many more storms that dump a lot of snow,” he said.
The state’s snowpack is almost non-existent. But Cerveny said there’s some hope on the horizon that we will not see a repeat of this winter.
“We are all hoping in the weather industry for El Nino, the warming of the Pacific Ocean waters which shifts the storm track so the storms are more likely to come into Arizona than go up into the northwest.”
But he said even a serious El Nino event won’t bring an end to Arizona’s drought.
As for the changing climate’s impact on our drought, the jury is still out.
“When you have one of the most complex systems that we can study, the climate system, trying to tease out what is natural variability and what is human variability is very difficult,” said Cerveny. “The best that we can do is put it into computer models and those models tell us how the effects we are seeing will be magnified in the future.”
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick