PHOENIX — You can’t blame people at The Phoenician in Scottsdale for being on a bit of a sugar high this week, as more than 450 bakers and suppliers are meeting for the annual convention of the American Bakers Association.
“Pretty much everything you could possibly put flour into we have here with us at this meeting,” said Rob Mackie, president and CEO of the ABA.
While cookies sales are down just a bit, Mackie said donuts are selling well. However, the real star this year, he said, are flatbreads, like focaccia, pita and nan.
“We’ve become more globally aware, interacting, traveling and things like that and people bring those tastes back,” Mackie said. “And then obviously we’re a nation of immigrants.”
He said the industry is also responding to consumer interest in health and wellness. The association is launching a campaign to highlight the benefits of grains and fiber found in many baked goods.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick