PHOENIX — You can’t blame people at The Phoenician in Scottsdale for being on a bit of a sugar high this week, as more than 450 bakers and suppliers are meeting for the annual convention of the American Bakers Association.
“Pretty much everything you could possibly put flour into we have here with us at this meeting,” said Rob Mackie, president and CEO of the ABA.
While cookies sales are down just a bit, Mackie said donuts are selling well. However, the real star this year, he said, are flatbreads, like focaccia, pita and nan.
“We’ve become more globally aware, interacting, traveling and things like that and people bring those tastes back,” Mackie said. “And then obviously we’re a nation of immigrants.”
He said the industry is also responding to consumer interest in health and wellness. The association is launching a campaign to highlight the benefits of grains and fiber found in many baked goods.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.