PHOENIX — You can’t blame people at The Phoenician in Scottsdale for being on a bit of a sugar high this week, as more than 450 bakers and suppliers are meeting for the annual convention of the American Bakers Association.
“Pretty much everything you could possibly put flour into we have here with us at this meeting,” said Rob Mackie, president and CEO of the ABA.
While cookies sales are down just a bit, Mackie said donuts are selling well. However, the real star this year, he said, are flatbreads, like focaccia, pita and nan.
“We’ve become more globally aware, interacting, traveling and things like that and people bring those tastes back,” Mackie said. “And then obviously we’re a nation of immigrants.”
He said the industry is also responding to consumer interest in health and wellness. The association is launching a campaign to highlight the benefits of grains and fiber found in many baked goods.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development