PHOENIX — Spring is the best time of year in the Valley to enjoy the great outdoors, but it’s important to do so safely.
If you’re going hiking this season, make sure to pack 100 ounces of water and start hydrating early.
“If you know you’re going to be going out on a long hike as the weather’s getting warmer, it’s really time to start drinking water days in advance,” said Larissa Dvorak with Mesa Fire. “[You need] to prepare your body for that exercise and the additional heat.”
Be sure to also bring snacks, a basic first aid kit and definitely a cell phone.
“Most of our trails outside do have some cell phone service, so we want to make sure a cell phone is available to you at all times,” Dvorak said. “And include the Poison Control number in your contacts.”
Always be aware of your surroundings, especially when it comes to poisonous critters.
“If you notice one, it’s better to just back up the way you came, very slowly, so that you don’t make them anymore agitated and they don’t tend to attack,” Dvorak said.
If you do get bitten or stung, stay calm. If you start having a reaction, Dvorak said to call Poison Control first, then 911.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development