PHOENIX — Spring is the best time of year in the Valley to enjoy the great outdoors, but it’s important to do so safely.
If you’re going hiking this season, make sure to pack 100 ounces of water and start hydrating early.
“If you know you’re going to be going out on a long hike as the weather’s getting warmer, it’s really time to start drinking water days in advance,” said Larissa Dvorak with Mesa Fire. “[You need] to prepare your body for that exercise and the additional heat.”
Be sure to also bring snacks, a basic first aid kit and definitely a cell phone.
“Most of our trails outside do have some cell phone service, so we want to make sure a cell phone is available to you at all times,” Dvorak said. “And include the Poison Control number in your contacts.”
Always be aware of your surroundings, especially when it comes to poisonous critters.
“If you notice one, it’s better to just back up the way you came, very slowly, so that you don’t make them anymore agitated and they don’t tend to attack,” Dvorak said.
If you do get bitten or stung, stay calm. If you start having a reaction, Dvorak said to call Poison Control first, then 911.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food