PHOENIX — An Arizona Senate committee has approved a bill that would ban
cities and towns from paying employees for doing union work.
The Senate Committee on Government and Environment approved an amendment to
House Bill 2418 that strikes the entire bill and replaces it with language
banning paying for union duties on Monday.
The bill is in response to a legal battle between the Goldwater Institute and
the city of Phoenix.
Phoenix agreed to stop employees for time spent performing union work after a
Maricopa County Superior Court judge in January ruled “release time” violates
the Arizona Constitution and that it doesn’t benefit the public. But the battle
continues after the Phoenix City Council voted to extend employee vacation
hours. Goldwater says that is a way to skirt the ruling.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development