PHOENIX — The mother of a teenage victim in a murder-suicide is raising money for her daughter’s funeral.
On Friday, March 7, Anastasia (Ana) Greer, 16, was shot dead by her friend Matthew Bolton, 15, after trying to protect Bolton’s ex-girlfriend. Both were students at Sandra Day O’Connor High School.
“She was about truth, honesty and love and she loved life,” Diannah Dinsmoor, Greer’s mother, told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Monday. “From the day that she was born, she was forthcoming and affectionate and loving and everybody fell in love with her form the moment they met her.”
Dinsmoor is attempting to raise $13,000 to cover the cost of her daughter’s funeral. Greer was born in California and Dinsmoor plans on having the funeral there.
“Hands Across Anthem is the one that has been doing the fundraisers to help take care of expenses and they’ve been incredibly amazing,” Dinsmoor said.
Hands Across Anthem has set up an account for donations, which can be accessed at HandsAcrossArizona.com.
Dinsmoor has received an outpouring of international love and support, a poignant, karmic response to the message both mother and daughter lived by.
“Love each other; give each other hugs daily,” Dinsmoor said. “Don’t sweat the small stuff, because those people in your life, they matter the most and make sure that they know that you love them.”
Dinsmoor also wants to spread the message of love to the community that has helped her through the most tragic time in her life.
“Your neighbors, the people around you; they matter,” she said. “Sometimes people forget about community and those neighbors are important people, too.”
Donations can also be made to the Anastasia Greer Foundation at any Wells Fargo bank. The reference number is 1490970702.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident