PHOENIX — The disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 has caused second thoughts about getting on a plane for a lot of people.
Ron Nielsen is a retired U.S. Airways pilot who has a Master’s degree in professional counseling. He runs Fearless Flight, a program that helps fearful flyers through classes at Sky Harbor Airport and actually taking a flight on an airplane.
Ever since the Malaysia Airlines plane disappeared, his phone has been ringing off the hook. “I actually had to stop the registrations this week because I don’t think we can fit anyone else in the room at Sky Harbor airport,” Nielsen said.
Nielsen said the number calls that he has received in the past week is similar to how many he got right after Sept. 11.
During an appearance on KTAR’S Arizona’s Morning News Weekend Show, Nielsen talked about a recent student. “He had three weeks before a surprise trip to England on behalf of his fiancée,” said Nielsen. “He said ‘I gotta get over this or I might not have a fiancée any more.” The man was able to make the trip after attending classes.
The program included two classes on the ground, one of which is inside an airplane. In a third, optional class, students buy a ticket and go on a flight.
As for the Malaysia disappearance, Nielsen believed that as soon as investigators found out that the plane turned away from its scheduled flight path, they should have known that it was a deliberate act by whoever was in the cockpit.
“When you’re flying along, particularly over extended over water flights, it is required that you notify the controlling agency when you change course,” he said. That wasn’t done in this instance.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food