PHOENIX — The disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 has caused second thoughts about getting on a plane for a lot of people.
Ron Nielsen is a retired U.S. Airways pilot who has a Master’s degree in professional counseling. He runs Fearless Flight, a program that helps fearful flyers through classes at Sky Harbor Airport and actually taking a flight on an airplane.
Ever since the Malaysia Airlines plane disappeared, his phone has been ringing off the hook. “I actually had to stop the registrations this week because I don’t think we can fit anyone else in the room at Sky Harbor airport,” Nielsen said.
Nielsen said the number calls that he has received in the past week is similar to how many he got right after Sept. 11.
During an appearance on KTAR’S Arizona’s Morning News Weekend Show, Nielsen talked about a recent student. “He had three weeks before a surprise trip to England on behalf of his fiancée,” said Nielsen. “He said ‘I gotta get over this or I might not have a fiancée any more.” The man was able to make the trip after attending classes.
The program included two classes on the ground, one of which is inside an airplane. In a third, optional class, students buy a ticket and go on a flight.
As for the Malaysia disappearance, Nielsen believed that as soon as investigators found out that the plane turned away from its scheduled flight path, they should have known that it was a deliberate act by whoever was in the cockpit.
“When you’re flying along, particularly over extended over water flights, it is required that you notify the controlling agency when you change course,” he said. That wasn’t done in this instance.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns