PHOENIX — The disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 has caused second thoughts about getting on a plane for a lot of people.
Ron Nielsen is a retired U.S. Airways pilot who has a Master’s degree in professional counseling. He runs Fearless Flight, a program that helps fearful flyers through classes at Sky Harbor Airport and actually taking a flight on an airplane.
Ever since the Malaysia Airlines plane disappeared, his phone has been ringing off the hook. “I actually had to stop the registrations this week because I don’t think we can fit anyone else in the room at Sky Harbor airport,” Nielsen said.
Nielsen said the number calls that he has received in the past week is similar to how many he got right after Sept. 11.
During an appearance on KTAR’S Arizona’s Morning News Weekend Show, Nielsen talked about a recent student. “He had three weeks before a surprise trip to England on behalf of his fiancée,” said Nielsen. “He said ‘I gotta get over this or I might not have a fiancée any more.” The man was able to make the trip after attending classes.
The program included two classes on the ground, one of which is inside an airplane. In a third, optional class, students buy a ticket and go on a flight.
As for the Malaysia disappearance, Nielsen believed that as soon as investigators found out that the plane turned away from its scheduled flight path, they should have known that it was a deliberate act by whoever was in the cockpit.
“When you’re flying along, particularly over extended over water flights, it is required that you notify the controlling agency when you change course,” he said. That wasn’t done in this instance.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development