PHOENIX — Expect some delays in downtown Tempe as the city begins two roadway construction projects.
One of the projects will take place on Hardy Drive between University Drive and Broadway Road beginning on March 24 — and continuing until January 2015 — while the other will be on University Drive between Ash Avenue and Priest Drive — beginning in April and continuing until September.
Principal Planner Eric Iverson said the work should help improve pedestrian, bicycle and transit facilities along the roads.
“The intent of the project and the elements of the construction that we are including in the projects are to make them stronger multi-modal streets,” he said.
One of the upgrades will include a protected bike lane on Hardy Drive, Iverson said.
“The bike lane raises up to the sidewalk level. It is separated from the pedestrian sidewalk facility, but it is at the same height or level as the sidewalk,” he said.
The Hardy Drive construction project is being funded by a federal grant of $1.8 million, and the University Drive project is fueled by $1.65 million in federal grant money. The Tempe Transit Tax Fund will also pay a required 5 percent matching fund.
Iverson said while the roads may be restricted during the construction process, the city does not expect any road closures.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy