PHOENIX — Expect some delays in downtown Tempe as the city begins two roadway construction projects.
One of the projects will take place on Hardy Drive between University Drive and Broadway Road beginning on March 24 — and continuing until January 2015 — while the other will be on University Drive between Ash Avenue and Priest Drive — beginning in April and continuing until September.
Principal Planner Eric Iverson said the work should help improve pedestrian, bicycle and transit facilities along the roads.
“The intent of the project and the elements of the construction that we are including in the projects are to make them stronger multi-modal streets,” he said.
One of the upgrades will include a protected bike lane on Hardy Drive, Iverson said.
“The bike lane raises up to the sidewalk level. It is separated from the pedestrian sidewalk facility, but it is at the same height or level as the sidewalk,” he said.
The Hardy Drive construction project is being funded by a federal grant of $1.8 million, and the University Drive project is fueled by $1.65 million in federal grant money. The Tempe Transit Tax Fund will also pay a required 5 percent matching fund.
Iverson said while the roads may be restricted during the construction process, the city does not expect any road closures.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths