PHOENIX – A Phoenix police officer suffered an eye injury and broken hand after responding to a call about a man yelling in a front yard Saturday night.
When the officer arrived, he says 29-year-old Bobby Keen approached him requesting help before punching him in the face.
“And, at that point, unfortunately, the fight was on,” Phoenix Public Information Officer James Holmes told KTAR.
As the unidentified officer struggled with Keen, he used a Taser gun on the assailant twice. A second officer on the scene near 7th Street and Union Hills Road also used his Taser, but they say Keen kept fighting and was able to make it back inside his home.
Holmes said more officers arrived and they organized a team, which included a canine, to approach Keen’s front door.
“Initially, he refuses to come out and when he does come out, he approaches and attacks the officers again,” Holmes said.
“At that point he (was) actually shot with four rounds of a stun gun in order to get this man subdued and it didn’t work.”
Holmes said Keen managed to get up and lock himself inside his home again before officers and the canine moved in and found him in a bedroom. Keen’s girlfriend was inside the home as well, according to Holmes’ account. She told officers that her boyfriend had used drugs earlier that day.
Keen was taken to the hospital for observation. The injured officer has since been released from the hospital.
“You’ve got an individual who’s out by himself just yelling and screaming for no apparent reason and neighbors start to call and thank goodness none of those neighbors actually went out to see what was wrong with him or they might have ended up in a confrontation with him,” said Holmes.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths