PHOENIX – A Phoenix police officer suffered an eye injury and broken hand after responding to a call about a man yelling in a front yard Saturday night.
When the officer arrived, he says 29-year-old Bobby Keen approached him requesting help before punching him in the face.
“And, at that point, unfortunately, the fight was on,” Phoenix Public Information Officer James Holmes told KTAR.
As the unidentified officer struggled with Keen, he used a Taser gun on the assailant twice. A second officer on the scene near 7th Street and Union Hills Road also used his Taser, but they say Keen kept fighting and was able to make it back inside his home.
Holmes said more officers arrived and they organized a team, which included a canine, to approach Keen’s front door.
“Initially, he refuses to come out and when he does come out, he approaches and attacks the officers again,” Holmes said.
“At that point he (was) actually shot with four rounds of a stun gun in order to get this man subdued and it didn’t work.”
Holmes said Keen managed to get up and lock himself inside his home again before officers and the canine moved in and found him in a bedroom. Keen’s girlfriend was inside the home as well, according to Holmes’ account. She told officers that her boyfriend had used drugs earlier that day.
Keen was taken to the hospital for observation. The injured officer has since been released from the hospital.
“You’ve got an individual who’s out by himself just yelling and screaming for no apparent reason and neighbors start to call and thank goodness none of those neighbors actually went out to see what was wrong with him or they might have ended up in a confrontation with him,” said Holmes.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon