TEMPE, Ariz. — The final panel of Tempe’s largest solar project was put in place on Friday.
The solar panels will provide electricity to Tempe’s South Water Treatment Plant.
“These 3,000 solar panels will produce 1.6 million kilowatt hours of electricity each year,” said Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell. “That’s enough to power 160 households in the city of Tempe. For our South Water Treatment plant, it means that these solar panels will also be supplying 15 percent of the electricity for this plant.”
They’ll also be saving the city a lot of money.
“The city expects to save more than $25,500 in utility costs in just the first year alone,” Mitchell said. “In over 20 years timeframe, we’re expected to save over $2.3 million dollars, and that’s remarkable.”
The city worked with Salt River Project and Solar City on the project for the last two years.
Tempe is planning future solar projects. One is a 900-kilowatt facility at the Johnny G. Martinez Water Treatment Plant. The other is a 250-kilowatt facility at the Police and Courts building in downtown Tempe.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy