TEMPE, Ariz. — The final panel of Tempe’s largest solar project was put in place on Friday.
The solar panels will provide electricity to Tempe’s South Water Treatment Plant.
“These 3,000 solar panels will produce 1.6 million kilowatt hours of electricity each year,” said Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell. “That’s enough to power 160 households in the city of Tempe. For our South Water Treatment plant, it means that these solar panels will also be supplying 15 percent of the electricity for this plant.”
They’ll also be saving the city a lot of money.
“The city expects to save more than $25,500 in utility costs in just the first year alone,” Mitchell said. “In over 20 years timeframe, we’re expected to save over $2.3 million dollars, and that’s remarkable.”
The city worked with Salt River Project and Solar City on the project for the last two years.
Tempe is planning future solar projects. One is a 900-kilowatt facility at the Johnny G. Martinez Water Treatment Plant. The other is a 250-kilowatt facility at the Police and Courts building in downtown Tempe.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development