PHOENIX — The dry conditions in Arizona are leading to some unwanted pests showing up earlier this year.
“The scorpion population is breeding early,” said Sage Garvey, director of technical operations for Burns Pest Elimination in Phoenix. “We’re starting to see those early. Normally, we wouldn’t see babies until April or May.”
Garvey said that they could be hiding in a lot of places near you.
“They live in and around your house in cracks and crevices, log piles, up underneath your brush and bushes that are a little bit too close to your home,” he said. “Also, door thresholds that haven’t been sealed from the outside. They also happen to like the fake Christmas trees you might have in your garage.”
Garvey said that smaller or baby scorpions are more likely to sting you because they are haven’t learned to run away from humans.
Garvey said it might be time to go around your yard with a black light to see if there are any scorpions in your yard.
“Go ahead and just kind of look around at about 9 or 10 o’clock at night,” said Garvey. “If you identify some scorpions, they’re going to be kind of phosphorus looking, kind of a bright greenish color under that black light. You can either go ahead and squash them, or just leave them alone and get a hold of your exterminator.”
Garvey said that using an exterminator to get rid of scorpions should cost you between $100 and $150. If you do call one out, Garvey said to make sure you show the exterminator exactly where you saw the scorpions so that he knows which area to attack.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas