PHOENIX — The dry conditions in Arizona are leading to some unwanted pests showing up earlier this year.
“The scorpion population is breeding early,” said Sage Garvey, director of technical operations for Burns Pest Elimination in Phoenix. “We’re starting to see those early. Normally, we wouldn’t see babies until April or May.”
Garvey said that they could be hiding in a lot of places near you.
“They live in and around your house in cracks and crevices, log piles, up underneath your brush and bushes that are a little bit too close to your home,” he said. “Also, door thresholds that haven’t been sealed from the outside. They also happen to like the fake Christmas trees you might have in your garage.”
Garvey said that smaller or baby scorpions are more likely to sting you because they are haven’t learned to run away from humans.
Garvey said it might be time to go around your yard with a black light to see if there are any scorpions in your yard.
“Go ahead and just kind of look around at about 9 or 10 o’clock at night,” said Garvey. “If you identify some scorpions, they’re going to be kind of phosphorus looking, kind of a bright greenish color under that black light. You can either go ahead and squash them, or just leave them alone and get a hold of your exterminator.”
Garvey said that using an exterminator to get rid of scorpions should cost you between $100 and $150. If you do call one out, Garvey said to make sure you show the exterminator exactly where you saw the scorpions so that he knows which area to attack.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon