PHOENIX — As graduation and prom nights approach, the Phoenix Fire Department wants to warn high school students about the dangers of drinking and driving.
Friday, firefighters were joined by Phoenix police officers for a simulated DUI crash involving teenagers at Sunnyslope High School.
“I think it’s extremely important,” said Quinton Howgard, 18. “I think high school kids think they are invincible but, like the firefighter said, ‘The smallest amount sober is still not sober enough.'”
The mock crash involved a teenager who got behind the wheel and barreled into another car, causing fatal injuries to one of teens involved. The high school students were given graphic details about what happens to the deceased, from the moments they are pulled from the mangled wreckage to the point when a medical examiner is opening the chest cavity and extracting vital organs.
“There are a lot of temptations out there but this definitely makes me think twice about drinking and driving,” said Howgard.
In 2012, the Arizona Department of Transportation reported over 5,400 alcohol-related crashes in Arizona.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier