PHOENIX — As graduation and prom nights approach, the Phoenix Fire Department wants to warn high school students about the dangers of drinking and driving.
Friday, firefighters were joined by Phoenix police officers for a simulated DUI crash involving teenagers at Sunnyslope High School.
“I think it’s extremely important,” said Quinton Howgard, 18. “I think high school kids think they are invincible but, like the firefighter said, ‘The smallest amount sober is still not sober enough.'”
The mock crash involved a teenager who got behind the wheel and barreled into another car, causing fatal injuries to one of teens involved. The high school students were given graphic details about what happens to the deceased, from the moments they are pulled from the mangled wreckage to the point when a medical examiner is opening the chest cavity and extracting vital organs.
“There are a lot of temptations out there but this definitely makes me think twice about drinking and driving,” said Howgard.
In 2012, the Arizona Department of Transportation reported over 5,400 alcohol-related crashes in Arizona.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon