PHOENIX — An Arizona congressional candidate apologized Friday after linking slavery to political entitlements.
According to Think Progress, Republican Jim Brown said entitlements give politicians power over the public in a Facebook post:
I want folks to think about something. I want folks to think seriously about how slavery really works. Back in the day of slavery, slaves were kept in slavery by denying them education and opportunity while providing them with their basic needs .. Not by beating them and starving them. (Although there were isolated cases if course) Basically slave owners took pretty good care of their slaves and livestock and this kept business rolling along.
It is my sincere belief that over entitlements are a means of em- slaving the people by robbing opportunity while taking care of basic needs. Think about it. We ARE NOT cattle. We are human beings living in a country that still allows us the opportunity to write our own ticket. But that is rapidly slipping away. We have to wake up fast and realize that entitlements aren’t there because politicians love the people. It’s a means to gain power over the people allowing them to control us. Vote smart in 2014 and pressure political leaders to focus on jobs, education and opportunity – not slavery.
Brown removed the original post and followed it up with a second one, including an apology:
Brown is seeking election in Arizona’s 2nd District.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.