PHOENIX — The Chicago Cubs aren’t the only team to get a brand new home in Mesa.
The city announced Thursday it’s making renovations to Hohokam Stadium and Fitch Park Training Facility to welcome the Oakland Athletics.
City Manager Chris Brady said the new renovations will help create a unique fan experience.
“We really love the old facilities and what they represent; they are great facilities,” Brady said. “But it is exciting to see someone coming in and expanding it and building off of what we had before.
The renovations to Hohokam Stadium will include refurbishing seating, the scoreboard, bleachers and clubhouse, while the Fitch Park Training Facility will expand in size by more than 25,000 square feet.
The city of Mesa and the Oakland A’s reached a 20-year deal last year to bring the team back to Mesa for the 2015 Cactus League season, and Ted Polakowski, the team’s director of minor league baseball operations, said the A’s are happy to be back.
“It’s the start of a great relationship, it’s a homecoming for the A’s back to Mesa,” he said. “I think the community, as well as our fan base that comes down from the Bay Area and all over the country, as well as the players, are going to love coming here.”
Construction for the project will be completed by January 2015.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development