PHOENIX — The Chicago Cubs aren’t the only team to get a brand new home in Mesa.
The city announced Thursday it’s making renovations to Hohokam Stadium and Fitch Park Training Facility to welcome the Oakland Athletics.
City Manager Chris Brady said the new renovations will help create a unique fan experience.
“We really love the old facilities and what they represent; they are great facilities,” Brady said. “But it is exciting to see someone coming in and expanding it and building off of what we had before.
The renovations to Hohokam Stadium will include refurbishing seating, the scoreboard, bleachers and clubhouse, while the Fitch Park Training Facility will expand in size by more than 25,000 square feet.
The city of Mesa and the Oakland A’s reached a 20-year deal last year to bring the team back to Mesa for the 2015 Cactus League season, and Ted Polakowski, the team’s director of minor league baseball operations, said the A’s are happy to be back.
“It’s the start of a great relationship, it’s a homecoming for the A’s back to Mesa,” he said. “I think the community, as well as our fan base that comes down from the Bay Area and all over the country, as well as the players, are going to love coming here.”
Construction for the project will be completed by January 2015.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night