PHOENIX — The Chicago Cubs aren’t the only team to get a brand new home in Mesa.
The city announced Thursday it’s making renovations to Hohokam Stadium and Fitch Park Training Facility to welcome the Oakland Athletics.
City Manager Chris Brady said the new renovations will help create a unique fan experience.
“We really love the old facilities and what they represent; they are great facilities,” Brady said. “But it is exciting to see someone coming in and expanding it and building off of what we had before.
The renovations to Hohokam Stadium will include refurbishing seating, the scoreboard, bleachers and clubhouse, while the Fitch Park Training Facility will expand in size by more than 25,000 square feet.
The city of Mesa and the Oakland A’s reached a 20-year deal last year to bring the team back to Mesa for the 2015 Cactus League season, and Ted Polakowski, the team’s director of minor league baseball operations, said the A’s are happy to be back.
“It’s the start of a great relationship, it’s a homecoming for the A’s back to Mesa,” he said. “I think the community, as well as our fan base that comes down from the Bay Area and all over the country, as well as the players, are going to love coming here.”
Construction for the project will be completed by January 2015.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments