PHOENIX — March is National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, and it’s an awareness that should be taken seriously.
Colorectal cancer is actually the No. 2 cancer killer in America and it tends to go unnoticed, due to the more popular breast or prostate cancers.
“Age is a risk factor,”said Dr. Harry Sarles, president of the American College of Gastroenterology. “The current recommendations are that you get screened beginning at age 50.”
It’s preventable, if you’re properly screened, he said.
“Unlike any other cancer, if you begin screening at the recommended times, that screening test turns into a preventative test by removing precancerous polyps during the exam,” Sarles said.
However, one in three of those aged 50 to 75 don’t get tested, added Sarles.
“Statistics would suggest that in the next year, there will be over 2,500 newly diagnosed cases and 1,000 deaths per year in the State of Arizona,” he said.
More than 20 million adults in the U.S. haven’t had any screenings for the potentially fatal cancer.
Diet can also increase the chances of getting colorectal cancer. Fatty or fried food, red meat and overcooked vegetables can cause precancerous polyps.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments