PHOENIX — March is National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, and it’s an awareness that should be taken seriously.
Colorectal cancer is actually the No. 2 cancer killer in America and it tends to go unnoticed, due to the more popular breast or prostate cancers.
“Age is a risk factor,”said Dr. Harry Sarles, president of the American College of Gastroenterology. “The current recommendations are that you get screened beginning at age 50.”
It’s preventable, if you’re properly screened, he said.
“Unlike any other cancer, if you begin screening at the recommended times, that screening test turns into a preventative test by removing precancerous polyps during the exam,” Sarles said.
However, one in three of those aged 50 to 75 don’t get tested, added Sarles.
“Statistics would suggest that in the next year, there will be over 2,500 newly diagnosed cases and 1,000 deaths per year in the State of Arizona,” he said.
More than 20 million adults in the U.S. haven’t had any screenings for the potentially fatal cancer.
Diet can also increase the chances of getting colorectal cancer. Fatty or fried food, red meat and overcooked vegetables can cause precancerous polyps.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier