PHOENIX — Some at-risk students from Southwest Leadership Academy and Canyon State Academy will join with the 100 Club for a fundraising car wash.
The proceeds will go to the family of fallen Phoenix police officer John Hobbs, who was killed last week in a confrontation with a suspect.
“We’re teaching our kids the pro-social values, teaching them to be givers instead of takers and to really embrace the fact that the police are here to help them,” Brian Heath with Rite of Passage said.
Heath also said he wants the kids to better the community, not make it worse.
“We just want our kids to be on the positive side of what’s happening in our community,” Heath said. “We want to teach them to be ambassadors of their community…that’s really the idea behind this.”
The car wash is Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Southwest Leadership Academy near 43rd Avenue and Fillmore.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development