PHOENIX – Maricopa County Sheriff’s deputies have been cracking down on fake medical marijuana dispensaries in the Valley.
The illegal dispensaries are known as compassion clubs, and sell marijuana without the required licensing through the Arizona State Department of Health Services.
Since March 3, MCSO deputies have made 39 arrests and seized lots of property in connection with the alleged illegal businesses.
“In the past week our sheriff’s office narcotic detectives made about 39 arrests, half a ton of marijuana was seized,” said Sheriff Joe Arpiao. “Over $230,000 in cash, a house…it actually had an ATM concealing some marijuana in it.”
Arpiao said the compassion clubs have become popular in the state after the legalization of medical marijuana in Arizona in 2010. He added that usually compassion clubs only sell to club members, but undercover deputies were able to walk into the stores and purchase the marijuana.
In addition to the arrests and seizures of cash, weapons and drugs, Arpaio said they have seized one home and are searching two others, believed to be large grow houses that produce the marijuana.
“Right now we’re searching three (houses), two in Laveen and we do know that there’s large amounts of marijuana and other types of equipment in those residences,” Arpaio said.
All the suspects arrested have been booked into jail and are facing various drug and money laundering charges.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food