PHOENIX – Maricopa County Sheriff’s deputies have been cracking down on fake medical marijuana dispensaries in the Valley.
The illegal dispensaries are known as compassion clubs, and sell marijuana without the required licensing through the Arizona State Department of Health Services.
Since March 3, MCSO deputies have made 39 arrests and seized lots of property in connection with the alleged illegal businesses.
“In the past week our sheriff’s office narcotic detectives made about 39 arrests, half a ton of marijuana was seized,” said Sheriff Joe Arpiao. “Over $230,000 in cash, a house…it actually had an ATM concealing some marijuana in it.”
Arpiao said the compassion clubs have become popular in the state after the legalization of medical marijuana in Arizona in 2010. He added that usually compassion clubs only sell to club members, but undercover deputies were able to walk into the stores and purchase the marijuana.
In addition to the arrests and seizures of cash, weapons and drugs, Arpaio said they have seized one home and are searching two others, believed to be large grow houses that produce the marijuana.
“Right now we’re searching three (houses), two in Laveen and we do know that there’s large amounts of marijuana and other types of equipment in those residences,” Arpaio said.
All the suspects arrested have been booked into jail and are facing various drug and money laundering charges.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier