PHOENIX — Hundreds of people involved in the world of fighting wildfires have spent the past week in Arizona’s high country taking courses to prepare them for the upcoming fire season.
This year was by far the most emotional of the academy’s 12-year history following the loss of 19 Granite Mountain Hotshots in the Yarnell Hill Fire. Many people at the academy wore shirts honoring the fallen 19 and Prescott firefighters donned new caps with the number 19 displayed. Wade Ward, with Prescott Fire, was among the academy’s information officers and was close to the Granite Mountain Hotshots.
“We will never forget them,” he said. “It’s hard to move through every day without remembering it.”
The Granite Mountain crew’s leader was Eric Marsh, who helped launch the academy.
“He ran this out of his house for many years,” said Ward. “He taught many of these 130 to 190 basic firefighting classes.”
This year’s classes churned out 100 new firefighters. A typical year sees about 60 to 80 trainees.
The next generation moves on to save homes and lives from wildfires that are becoming bigger and more dangerous each passing year.
“Our job is to mitigate dangers,” said Ward. “We do the best we can but our jobs are dangerous. The reality is that you can get hurt or killed doing what we do.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food