PHOENIX — It’s been one year since Pope Francis took his position as head of the Catholic Church and a Valley priest said that he has seen an uptick in Catholics returning to the church.
Father John Muir of St. Rose Philippine Duchesne Church in Anthem was among the thousands of people who were in St. Peter’s Square when Pope Francis first appeared on the balcony. Muir said that Francis has made Catholics more excited about their faith.
“Pope Francis is such a powerful symbolic figure,” he said. “He’s really encouraged Catholics to get back to basics and to not worry about what’s not really essential to who we are as Catholics. I think he’s also encouraged us to follow his example of being someone who takes their faith seriously and puts it into practice.”
Muir said, since Francis became Pope, there’s more people in the pews at his church.
“We’ve seen probably a 30 to 40 percent increase in people coming to masses,” he said. “Many of these are Catholics who were not that energetic or excited about their faith. They seem to be catching this ‘Pope Francis Fire.'”
Muir said some have been reassessing the priorities of the Catholic religion in their lives.
Muir said he’s also seeing members of his church starting to do more volunteer work in their community.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development