PHOENIX — Teaching your child to make smart money decisions should start as early as possible, a financial expert said.
“Parents can talk to their kids more about money,” said Michelle White with Mass Mutual. “The conversation isn’t being had in many households.”
Whether a child receives an allowance, monetary gifts on special occasions or they earn money for completing chores that are beyond expected household obligations, the money should be budgeted to include a majority of the dollars going to their college education.
“Parents can talk with their kids about making smart choices with their money, helping them identify what is a ‘want’ and what is a ‘need,'” said White. “Saving should always be first.”
The key to helping your child grow into a financially responsible adult rests with the parents. White said teaching them to budget, spend responsibly, save habitually and allowing them to make mistakes could lead to successful money management habit later in life.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development