PHOENIX — The first major motion picture about Arizona native and American icon Cesar Chavez will be screened at the Orpheum Theatre in Phoenix on Thursday night.
Among those in attendance will be director Diego Luna and one of Chavez’s eight children, Paul.
“We’re really excited,” Paul Chavez told KTAR. “We think Diego Luna and the cast have done a really a good job not just at capturing the classic conflict between farm workers and employers, but it also talks about the struggles within the farm workers community and the fight to ensure that this movement was always committed to the principles of non-violence.”
Cesar Chavez was born near Yuma and watched his family lose their farm during the Great Depression. When the family moved to California, they got jobs as farm workers. There, Chavez began a labor movement that led to the creation of the United Farm Workers.
Paul Chavez, who oversees the Cesar Chavez Foundation, said the film also showed his family’s sacrifice.
“Growing up, my father wasn’t able to attend our Little League baseball games or do things parents do with other kids because he was busy and being pulled in other directions,” he said.
“But one thing my father did was to make sure his work was big enough so that his family could play a role in it. So, while we didn’t go to baseball games together, I was planning picket lines and union meetings and conventions with him.”
The film will open in 100 markets March 28. The Chavez Foundation has created an online petition asking President Barack Obama to proclaim a national day of service on March 31, which was Chavez’s birthday.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths