PHOENIX — Arizona State University is in the running to win ThinkGeek’s quest for the geekiest campus competition.
“We’ve been doing it for a while and now that ‘geek’ is coo and people are paying attention to it, we’re going to fly that geek flag … absolutely,” said Bob Beard, Promotions and Events Coordinator for Eight, Arizona PBS.
There are many reasons why ASU should win, said Beard, who is also an ASU graduate student.
“We’ve got a full life-size mock-up of a curiosity rover in our School of Earth and Space Exploration, we’ve got our own highly ranked Quidditch Team (from Harry Potter),” he said. “We’ve got a Lord of the Rings study abroad tour in New Zealand.”
Other reasons include ASU faculty member Dr. Lawrence Krauss, who wrote a book on the science of Star Trek, and then the largest entry in the annual homecoming parade is the PBS Nerd Walk, he said.
But most important:
“I’m writing my own thesis on nerd culture for the graduate program at ASU,” Beard said. “So it doesn’t get any more geeky than that, with a nerd writing about nerds.”
To vote for ASU to be The Geekiest Campus, visit http://www.thinkgeek.com/contests/geekiest-campus/.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development