PHOENIX — Arizona State University is in the running to win ThinkGeek’s quest for the geekiest campus competition.
“We’ve been doing it for a while and now that ‘geek’ is coo and people are paying attention to it, we’re going to fly that geek flag … absolutely,” said Bob Beard, Promotions and Events Coordinator for Eight, Arizona PBS.
There are many reasons why ASU should win, said Beard, who is also an ASU graduate student.
“We’ve got a full life-size mock-up of a curiosity rover in our School of Earth and Space Exploration, we’ve got our own highly ranked Quidditch Team (from Harry Potter),” he said. “We’ve got a Lord of the Rings study abroad tour in New Zealand.”
Other reasons include ASU faculty member Dr. Lawrence Krauss, who wrote a book on the science of Star Trek, and then the largest entry in the annual homecoming parade is the PBS Nerd Walk, he said.
But most important:
“I’m writing my own thesis on nerd culture for the graduate program at ASU,” Beard said. “So it doesn’t get any more geeky than that, with a nerd writing about nerds.”
To vote for ASU to be The Geekiest Campus, visit http://www.thinkgeek.com/contests/geekiest-campus/.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food