PHOENIX — Arizona State University is in the running to win ThinkGeek’s quest for the geekiest campus competition.
“We’ve been doing it for a while and now that ‘geek’ is coo and people are paying attention to it, we’re going to fly that geek flag … absolutely,” said Bob Beard, Promotions and Events Coordinator for Eight, Arizona PBS.
There are many reasons why ASU should win, said Beard, who is also an ASU graduate student.
“We’ve got a full life-size mock-up of a curiosity rover in our School of Earth and Space Exploration, we’ve got our own highly ranked Quidditch Team (from Harry Potter),” he said. “We’ve got a Lord of the Rings study abroad tour in New Zealand.”
Other reasons include ASU faculty member Dr. Lawrence Krauss, who wrote a book on the science of Star Trek, and then the largest entry in the annual homecoming parade is the PBS Nerd Walk, he said.
But most important:
“I’m writing my own thesis on nerd culture for the graduate program at ASU,” Beard said. “So it doesn’t get any more geeky than that, with a nerd writing about nerds.”
To vote for ASU to be The Geekiest Campus, visit http://www.thinkgeek.com/contests/geekiest-campus/.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier