PHOENIX — Arizona Sen. Rick Murphy’s bill could put more kids on the fast track for new, permanent homes.
Currently, if Child Protective Services takes custody of a child 3 years old and younger, the courts generally give parents six months to get their acts together or risk losing their children forever. Murphy’s legislation, Senate Bill 1407, would raise the age of five when it comes to the termination of parental rights and finding a permanent home.
“They need that security of knowing okay this is where I’m going to be and these people are committed to me and I’m not going to be shuffled around like an end table,” Murphy said. “It just does fundamental damage to them to be bounced around a lot at such a young age.”
Murphy also stressed the importance of the state offering enough resources to to parents to ensure that they have the opportunity to “get their act together,” and know what they’re required to do.
Murphy said that parents “not really getting the opportunity to demonstrate they should get their kids back,” has been an issue.
Another piece of Arizona legislation, Senate Bill 1386, requires a CPS review and includes a provision for an outside consultant that would recommend best practices that have been effective in other states.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them