PHOENIX — Arizona Sen. Rick Murphy’s bill could put more kids on the fast track for new, permanent homes.
Currently, if Child Protective Services takes custody of a child 3 years old and younger, the courts generally give parents six months to get their acts together or risk losing their children forever. Murphy’s legislation, Senate Bill 1407, would raise the age of five when it comes to the termination of parental rights and finding a permanent home.
“They need that security of knowing okay this is where I’m going to be and these people are committed to me and I’m not going to be shuffled around like an end table,” Murphy said. “It just does fundamental damage to them to be bounced around a lot at such a young age.”
Murphy also stressed the importance of the state offering enough resources to to parents to ensure that they have the opportunity to “get their act together,” and know what they’re required to do.
Murphy said that parents “not really getting the opportunity to demonstrate they should get their kids back,” has been an issue.
Another piece of Arizona legislation, Senate Bill 1386, requires a CPS review and includes a provision for an outside consultant that would recommend best practices that have been effective in other states.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.