PHOENIX — With Wednesday’s announcement that she will not seek a third term in office, Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Valley political observer said history will be kind to her.
Conservative analyst Stan Barnes said Brewer will go down as one of the most successful politicians in Arizona history.
Brewer will forever be linked to signing Arizona’s tough anti-illegal immigration law, Senate Bill 1070, but Barnes said her signature accomplishment was guiding the state’s economy back after the recession.
“She took over at the worst possible time when it came to the budget and she did whatever it took to bring Arizona out of this mess,” Barnes said. “Without her in that spot, it would have been much different. No, she didn’t do it all by herself but she provided leadership that came from nowhere else.”
Barnes said after taking over from former Gov. Janet Napolitano in 2009, Brewer asked the legislature for a billion dollar tax increase and that took courage on a Republican scale not seen for many years.
“Eventually she won her battles with the legislature and history will treat her well because the state did well,” Barnes said.
Brewer’s former campaign manager, Doug Cole, echoed Barnes’ sentiments.
“She inherited the biggest budget deficit in the United States that she took over and turned around,” he said. “That is no small feat.”
Cole also said Brewer should be remembered for her work on education and mental health.
KTAR’s Bob McClay contributed to this report.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck