PHOENIX — With Wednesday’s announcement that she will not seek a third term in office, Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Valley political observer said history will be kind to her.
Conservative analyst Stan Barnes said Brewer will go down as one of the most successful politicians in Arizona history.
Brewer will forever be linked to signing Arizona’s tough anti-illegal immigration law, Senate Bill 1070, but Barnes said her signature accomplishment was guiding the state’s economy back after the recession.
“She took over at the worst possible time when it came to the budget and she did whatever it took to bring Arizona out of this mess,” Barnes said. “Without her in that spot, it would have been much different. No, she didn’t do it all by herself but she provided leadership that came from nowhere else.”
Barnes said after taking over from former Gov. Janet Napolitano in 2009, Brewer asked the legislature for a billion dollar tax increase and that took courage on a Republican scale not seen for many years.
“Eventually she won her battles with the legislature and history will treat her well because the state did well,” Barnes said.
Brewer’s former campaign manager, Doug Cole, echoed Barnes’ sentiments.
“She inherited the biggest budget deficit in the United States that she took over and turned around,” he said. “That is no small feat.”
Cole also said Brewer should be remembered for her work on education and mental health.
KTAR’s Bob McClay contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon