PHOENIX — This March marks the 15th year an Arizona governor has proclaimed the month as Red-Light Running Awareness Month.
It also marks the 16th year that Frank Hinds has been honoring his daughter’s memory. When Jennifer Hinds was 17 years old, a red-light runner hit her in front of her Glendale high school. She died six days later.
One year after Jennifer’s death, Hinds convinced then-Gov. Jane Dee Hull to issue the first proclamation.
Hinds is now executive director of the Red Means Stop Traffic Safety Alliance, a non-profit he formed in 1999 with two other men who lost children to red light runners.
“We don’t want their injuries or deaths just to be cataloged somewhere as a statistic,” he said.
Group members hold events and speak to students at high schools across the Valley. Hinds said they focus on teaching responsible driving behavior and even offer driver’s education scholarships to families in need.
“Hopefully, someday we’ll have a generation of safer drivers.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy