PHOENIX — This March marks the 15th year an Arizona governor has proclaimed the month as Red-Light Running Awareness Month.
It also marks the 16th year that Frank Hinds has been honoring his daughter’s memory. When Jennifer Hinds was 17 years old, a red-light runner hit her in front of her Glendale high school. She died six days later.
One year after Jennifer’s death, Hinds convinced then-Gov. Jane Dee Hull to issue the first proclamation.
Hinds is now executive director of the Red Means Stop Traffic Safety Alliance, a non-profit he formed in 1999 with two other men who lost children to red light runners.
“We don’t want their injuries or deaths just to be cataloged somewhere as a statistic,” he said.
Group members hold events and speak to students at high schools across the Valley. Hinds said they focus on teaching responsible driving behavior and even offer driver’s education scholarships to families in need.
“Hopefully, someday we’ll have a generation of safer drivers.”
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain