PHOENIX — This March marks the 15th year an Arizona governor has proclaimed the month as Red-Light Running Awareness Month.
It also marks the 16th year that Frank Hinds has been honoring his daughter’s memory. When Jennifer Hinds was 17 years old, a red-light runner hit her in front of her Glendale high school. She died six days later.
One year after Jennifer’s death, Hinds convinced then-Gov. Jane Dee Hull to issue the first proclamation.
Hinds is now executive director of the Red Means Stop Traffic Safety Alliance, a non-profit he formed in 1999 with two other men who lost children to red light runners.
“We don’t want their injuries or deaths just to be cataloged somewhere as a statistic,” he said.
Group members hold events and speak to students at high schools across the Valley. Hinds said they focus on teaching responsible driving behavior and even offer driver’s education scholarships to families in need.
“Hopefully, someday we’ll have a generation of safer drivers.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier