PHOENIX — This March marks the 15th year an Arizona governor has proclaimed the month as Red-Light Running Awareness Month.
It also marks the 16th year that Frank Hinds has been honoring his daughter’s memory. When Jennifer Hinds was 17 years old, a red-light runner hit her in front of her Glendale high school. She died six days later.
One year after Jennifer’s death, Hinds convinced then-Gov. Jane Dee Hull to issue the first proclamation.
Hinds is now executive director of the Red Means Stop Traffic Safety Alliance, a non-profit he formed in 1999 with two other men who lost children to red light runners.
“We don’t want their injuries or deaths just to be cataloged somewhere as a statistic,” he said.
Group members hold events and speak to students at high schools across the Valley. Hinds said they focus on teaching responsible driving behavior and even offer driver’s education scholarships to families in need.
“Hopefully, someday we’ll have a generation of safer drivers.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development