PHOENIX — Mesa Mayor Scott Smith said in a Wednesday statement outgoing Gov. Jan Brewer has served Arizona well in her time in office.
Brewer announced Wednesday that she would not be pursuing a third term in office.
The full statement is below. It has not been edited in any way.
“Governor Jan Brewer is a remarkably strong leader that has led a distinguished career in public service.
She has served her community, her state, and her nation well by executing a proven formula of conservative leadership based on the protection of our rights and free market principles. As we have seen time and again, she has also demonstrated the courage to make tough decisions that are in the best interests of the people of Arizona.
She has navigated our state in the most challenging of times and in times of prosperity, and has created a legacy and a solid foundation upon which Arizona can build upon as we continue to move forward. Her honest leadership and dedication to principle are exemplary of true public service.”
Smith has announced that he will make a run for governor.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon