PHOENIX — Mesa Mayor Scott Smith said in a Wednesday statement outgoing Gov. Jan Brewer has served Arizona well in her time in office.
Brewer announced Wednesday that she would not be pursuing a third term in office.
The full statement is below. It has not been edited in any way.
“Governor Jan Brewer is a remarkably strong leader that has led a distinguished career in public service.
She has served her community, her state, and her nation well by executing a proven formula of conservative leadership based on the protection of our rights and free market principles. As we have seen time and again, she has also demonstrated the courage to make tough decisions that are in the best interests of the people of Arizona.
She has navigated our state in the most challenging of times and in times of prosperity, and has created a legacy and a solid foundation upon which Arizona can build upon as we continue to move forward. Her honest leadership and dedication to principle are exemplary of true public service.”
Smith has announced that he will make a run for governor.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier