PHOENIX — Mesa Mayor Scott Smith said in a Wednesday statement outgoing Gov. Jan Brewer has served Arizona well in her time in office.
Brewer announced Wednesday that she would not be pursuing a third term in office.
The full statement is below. It has not been edited in any way.
“Governor Jan Brewer is a remarkably strong leader that has led a distinguished career in public service.
She has served her community, her state, and her nation well by executing a proven formula of conservative leadership based on the protection of our rights and free market principles. As we have seen time and again, she has also demonstrated the courage to make tough decisions that are in the best interests of the people of Arizona.
She has navigated our state in the most challenging of times and in times of prosperity, and has created a legacy and a solid foundation upon which Arizona can build upon as we continue to move forward. Her honest leadership and dedication to principle are exemplary of true public service.”
Smith has announced that he will make a run for governor.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments