PHOENIX — Mesa Mayor Scott Smith said in a Wednesday statement outgoing Gov. Jan Brewer has served Arizona well in her time in office.
Brewer announced Wednesday that she would not be pursuing a third term in office.
The full statement is below. It has not been edited in any way.
“Governor Jan Brewer is a remarkably strong leader that has led a distinguished career in public service.
She has served her community, her state, and her nation well by executing a proven formula of conservative leadership based on the protection of our rights and free market principles. As we have seen time and again, she has also demonstrated the courage to make tough decisions that are in the best interests of the people of Arizona.
She has navigated our state in the most challenging of times and in times of prosperity, and has created a legacy and a solid foundation upon which Arizona can build upon as we continue to move forward. Her honest leadership and dedication to principle are exemplary of true public service.”
Smith has announced that he will make a run for governor.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets