PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer announced Wednesday that she is not planning another gubernatorial run.
“My pen and veto stamp still have plenty of ink,” Brewer said at a press conference, adding that she plans to work until her final hours in office.
Brewer made the announcement at Park Meadows Elementary School in Glendale.
Her term will expire in December.
Brewer, 69, has been in office for five years since replacing Janet Napolitano, who was selected as the head of the Department of Homeland Security by President Barack Obama in 2009.
During her tenure, the Republican public official has been the center of nationwide political attention. In some cases, it involved her signing polarizing legislation that the GOP-dominated state Legislature sent to her desk. In others, she was bucking her own party or butting heads with the Obama administration.
Brewer’s run would have been dependent on a legal battle. She has technically served two consecutive terms, the maximum allowed under state law. However, Brewer would be eligible to run for governor again in 2018.
While I will no longer be governor after this year, I will remain a proud cheerleader and champion for this awesome state that I love.
— Jan Brewer (@GovBrewer) March 12, 2014
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again