PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer announced Wednesday that she is not planning another gubernatorial run.
“My pen and veto stamp still have plenty of ink,” Brewer said at a press conference, adding that she plans to work until her final hours in office.
Brewer made the announcement at Park Meadows Elementary School in Glendale.
Her term will expire in December.
Brewer, 69, has been in office for five years since replacing Janet Napolitano, who was selected as the head of the Department of Homeland Security by President Barack Obama in 2009.
During her tenure, the Republican public official has been the center of nationwide political attention. In some cases, it involved her signing polarizing legislation that the GOP-dominated state Legislature sent to her desk. In others, she was bucking her own party or butting heads with the Obama administration.
Brewer’s run would have been dependent on a legal battle. She has technically served two consecutive terms, the maximum allowed under state law. However, Brewer would be eligible to run for governor again in 2018.
While I will no longer be governor after this year, I will remain a proud cheerleader and champion for this awesome state that I love.
— Jan Brewer (@GovBrewer) March 12, 2014
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night