PHOENIX — According to a new report, the nation may soon face a shortage of nearly 1,500 doctors to treat cancer.
The American Society of Clinical Oncology said demand for cancer treatments will grow by at least 42 percent by 2025, while the number of oncologists will only increase 28 percent.
“The shortages might have many different origins, not the least is which is that cancer is a disease that is more common as we age,” said Dr. Ruben Mesa, an oncologist with the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale.
For example, Baby Boomers are getting older and now reaching retirement age.
“With the aging of the population, the sheer number of cancer patients will continue to grow significantly,” Mesa explained.
Mesa also said that Maricopa County has numerous medical facilities that deal with cancer, so it shouldn’t face any shortages, but he is concerned about other parts of Arizona.
“Trying to provide state of the art, complicated surgical techniques for removing cancer, complicated radiation treatments that offer the latest in new therapies and new drugs (will be a challenge),” Mesa said. “I do think that the challenges, particularly in more rural Arizona, will continue to ratchet up.”
He believes that in the future, primary care physicians and physicians assistants may have to handle basic cancer treatments so that oncologists can deal with more serious cases.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America