PHOENIX — According to a new report, the nation may soon face a shortage of nearly 1,500 doctors to treat cancer.
The American Society of Clinical Oncology said demand for cancer treatments will grow by at least 42 percent by 2025, while the number of oncologists will only increase 28 percent.
“The shortages might have many different origins, not the least is which is that cancer is a disease that is more common as we age,” said Dr. Ruben Mesa, an oncologist with the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale.
For example, Baby Boomers are getting older and now reaching retirement age.
“With the aging of the population, the sheer number of cancer patients will continue to grow significantly,” Mesa explained.
Mesa also said that Maricopa County has numerous medical facilities that deal with cancer, so it shouldn’t face any shortages, but he is concerned about other parts of Arizona.
“Trying to provide state of the art, complicated surgical techniques for removing cancer, complicated radiation treatments that offer the latest in new therapies and new drugs (will be a challenge),” Mesa said. “I do think that the challenges, particularly in more rural Arizona, will continue to ratchet up.”
He believes that in the future, primary care physicians and physicians assistants may have to handle basic cancer treatments so that oncologists can deal with more serious cases.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them