PHOENIX — Calling all veterans in need of health care, education assistance, even home loans. The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs said you could be eligible for more benefits than you think.
“When I find out the vast majority of veterans in Arizona know little to nothing about their benefits, that’s a personal drive,” said Dr. Tommy Sowers with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Like most veterans, Sowers said after his 11 years of active duty he didn’t know that much about benefits through the VA
“The VA has fundamentally changed my life for the better,” he said. “The Post-9/11 GI bill is why I call myself ‘Doctor Sowers.’
“My home loan is through the VA, my healthcare is through the VA…it has just made me stronger and better,” he said.
Getting insured can be as easy as simply walking in the doors at the VA.
“We know that a million veterans are currently uninsured, when all they need to do is come into a VA hospital,” Sowers said. “We know that of the 22 veterans that tragically take their life every day, 17 of them have never sought VA healthcare.”
The VA is now reaching out to veterans with 70 Mobile Vet Centers, which are big RVs all driven by vets.
“They’re made so we can provide both treatment and access to care, really, anywhere these Mobile Vet Centers go,” Sowers said.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton and one of the V.A. Mobile Vet Centers will be at Victory Place, Wednesday at 10 a.m., for the VA Boots on the Ground Ceremony. The center is located at 850 E. Jones Ave., south of Downtown Phoenix.
For more information, click here.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.