PHOENIX — Calling all veterans in need of health care, education assistance, even home loans. The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs said you could be eligible for more benefits than you think.
“When I find out the vast majority of veterans in Arizona know little to nothing about their benefits, that’s a personal drive,” said Dr. Tommy Sowers with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Like most veterans, Sowers said after his 11 years of active duty he didn’t know that much about benefits through the VA
“The VA has fundamentally changed my life for the better,” he said. “The Post-9/11 GI bill is why I call myself ‘Doctor Sowers.’
“My home loan is through the VA, my healthcare is through the VA…it has just made me stronger and better,” he said.
Getting insured can be as easy as simply walking in the doors at the VA.
“We know that a million veterans are currently uninsured, when all they need to do is come into a VA hospital,” Sowers said. “We know that of the 22 veterans that tragically take their life every day, 17 of them have never sought VA healthcare.”
The VA is now reaching out to veterans with 70 Mobile Vet Centers, which are big RVs all driven by vets.
“They’re made so we can provide both treatment and access to care, really, anywhere these Mobile Vet Centers go,” Sowers said.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton and one of the V.A. Mobile Vet Centers will be at Victory Place, Wednesday at 10 a.m., for the VA Boots on the Ground Ceremony. The center is located at 850 E. Jones Ave., south of Downtown Phoenix.
For more information, click here.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them