SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Buying a home may actually be cheaper than renting, a home-pricing website said.
Trulia.com says monthly payments are less for homeowners than renters.
“Owning a house is about 38 percent cheaper than renting,” said Valley real estate expert Dean Wegner.
This average monthly payment does not include maintenance costs for homeowners.
Wegner said the reason it’s cheaper to buy is the recession.
“This is much different than 2005 when renting was so much cheaper than owning because people were paying $400,000 for a house that you can buy for $200,000 now,” he said. “Home prices went down 56 percent (during the recession), and they still haven’t fully recovered in all areas. People are getting bargains left and right.
“Meanwhile, the rental pool got very aggressive. After the recession, a lot of people had to run to rent. As a result, the rental prices went up quite substantially.”
Wegner said those rental prices have not come down.
Trulia.com said that with a 4.5 percent, 30-year fixed rate loan, it costs about 33 percent less to buy opposed to renting in Phoenix. That figure is based on the homeowner staying for seven years, pay 25 percent in taxes and itemize deductions.
In Tucson, buying is 42 percent cheaper.
To read the report from Trulia, click here.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development