PHOENIX — The co-founder of an organization created to stop violence in relationships urged parents to be on the lookout for warning signs after a Valley teenager killed his girlfriend and took his own life.
“After I heard about the tragedy, I asked myself why this happened,” said Bobbi Sudberry of Kaity’s Way. “There are things in place to help prevent this from happening again.”
In 2008, Bobbi’s daughter, 17-year-old Kaitlyn Marie Sudberry, was gunned down by a disgruntled ex-boyfriend. He then turned the gun on himself. This was a similar story to a 15-year-old Sandra Day O’Connor High School student killing his 16-year-old girlfriend before taking his own life.
“When we were going through all of this with Kaity, we didn’t have protections under the law, now we have Kaity’s Law,” said Sudberry. “It offers people in dating relationships, either past or current, protections under the state domestic violence statute.
“There are education efforts happening all the time through organizations like Kaity’s Way. We go out into the community and teach people about red flags,warning signs and other issues related to bullying in teen dating.”
Sudberry urged parents to get involved in their kids’ relationships and look for the warning signs. She also advises parents to help kids through tough breakups and teach them how to deal with raw emotions.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.