PHOENIX — The co-founder of an organization created to stop violence in relationships urged parents to be on the lookout for warning signs after a Valley teenager killed his girlfriend and took his own life.
“After I heard about the tragedy, I asked myself why this happened,” said Bobbi Sudberry of Kaity’s Way. “There are things in place to help prevent this from happening again.”
In 2008, Bobbi’s daughter, 17-year-old Kaitlyn Marie Sudberry, was gunned down by a disgruntled ex-boyfriend. He then turned the gun on himself. This was a similar story to a 15-year-old Sandra Day O’Connor High School student killing his 16-year-old girlfriend before taking his own life.
“When we were going through all of this with Kaity, we didn’t have protections under the law, now we have Kaity’s Law,” said Sudberry. “It offers people in dating relationships, either past or current, protections under the state domestic violence statute.
“There are education efforts happening all the time through organizations like Kaity’s Way. We go out into the community and teach people about red flags,warning signs and other issues related to bullying in teen dating.”
Sudberry urged parents to get involved in their kids’ relationships and look for the warning signs. She also advises parents to help kids through tough breakups and teach them how to deal with raw emotions.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon