PHOENIX — The Chandler Police Department is preparing to lose 23 officers within months of each other, amounting to 7 percent of the force.
Police Chief Sean Duggan said the officers are all supervisors who will be retiring in early 2016.
Since it takes about one year to recruit, test and train an officer, Duggan wants to start the hiring process soon, so he can maintain his level of 320 officers.
“It’s going to cost more money on the front end, but the idea is to be prepared so that we’re not left with a gap in services,” Duggan said.
Duggan hopes to convince city leaders to approve a temporary budget boost to cover the crossover between training and retirement. If approved, it would be part of the 2014-15 budge,t which is about 18 months before the retirements will kick in.
“There’s a small pool of candidates out there and we’ll be competing with every other agency for that small pool of qualified candidates,” he said. “Valley-wide, we may get thousands of applications, but only a fraction of a percent are really qualified to be police officers.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets