PHOENIX — Some Democratic state lawmakers are taking aim at President Barack Obama’s deportation program.
“This war of attrition on immigrants has made us all less safe,” said Arizona House Rep. Juan Mendez.
Mendez, a District 26 representative, said half of all Hispanics in Maricopa County are afraid to call the police, even if they’re a victim of a crime, because they’re scared of being asked about their immigration status. He’s sponsoring a bill called the Arizona TRUST Act that would make the feds pay for their own program.
“The Arizona TRUST Act then prevents the Arpaios of our state from abusing the immigration system and brings our immigration practices in line with the federal agency’s already-stated priorities,” Mendez explained.
Similar measures have already been passed in places like Chicago, New Orleans, Miami and the State of California.
“We’re finding that about 60 to 80 percent of ICE hold requests are being denied by local law enforcement, as a result of the California TRUST Act,” said Angela Chan, a civil rights attorney in California.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments