PHOENIX — Some Democratic state lawmakers are taking aim at President Barack Obama’s deportation program.
“This war of attrition on immigrants has made us all less safe,” said Arizona House Rep. Juan Mendez.
Mendez, a District 26 representative, said half of all Hispanics in Maricopa County are afraid to call the police, even if they’re a victim of a crime, because they’re scared of being asked about their immigration status. He’s sponsoring a bill called the Arizona TRUST Act that would make the feds pay for their own program.
“The Arizona TRUST Act then prevents the Arpaios of our state from abusing the immigration system and brings our immigration practices in line with the federal agency’s already-stated priorities,” Mendez explained.
Similar measures have already been passed in places like Chicago, New Orleans, Miami and the State of California.
“We’re finding that about 60 to 80 percent of ICE hold requests are being denied by local law enforcement, as a result of the California TRUST Act,” said Angela Chan, a civil rights attorney in California.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier