PHOENIX — Thousands of Arizona students on spring break are hitting Mexico with a State Department travel warning in place.
A fairly standard travel advisory cautioned Americans about visiting some places in Mexico, including Rocky Point, a popular spot for Arizonans.
KTAR’S travel expert Kari Valley said travel to Mexico is safer than it has been recently but visitors should use common sense.
“Don’t wear big jewelry when you’re out and about because that makes you a target,” Valley said. “If you have something valuable then leave it at home or in a hotel safe.”
Valley said most of the major tourist zones in Mexico are safe because billions of dollars have been spent revamping those areas. Puerto Vallarta is one example.
“They’ve closed down the main street to cars. It’s now a walking street. They’ve put in a new marina so they’re really putting the effort out to bring tourism back to the region.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them