PHOENIX — Thousands of Arizona students on spring break are hitting Mexico with a State Department travel warning in place.
A fairly standard travel advisory cautioned Americans about visiting some places in Mexico, including Rocky Point, a popular spot for Arizonans.
KTAR’S travel expert Kari Valley said travel to Mexico is safer than it has been recently but visitors should use common sense.
“Don’t wear big jewelry when you’re out and about because that makes you a target,” Valley said. “If you have something valuable then leave it at home or in a hotel safe.”
Valley said most of the major tourist zones in Mexico are safe because billions of dollars have been spent revamping those areas. Puerto Vallarta is one example.
“They’ve closed down the main street to cars. It’s now a walking street. They’ve put in a new marina so they’re really putting the effort out to bring tourism back to the region.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.