PHOENIX — The Yarnell Hill Recovery Group celebrated a milestone Monday: The ninth and final replacement home has gone up for uninsured residents who lost everything during last year’s deadly wildfire.
“To see the smiles on people’s faces and knowing you’re helping them is just a wonderful feeling,” group chairman Chuck Tidey said.
Tidey said most of the uninsured couldn’t get homeowners insurance before the big fire.
“They (the homes) were built back in the ’20s or ’30s when they had no building codes or inspections and insurance companies would come out and look at them and say, ‘I can’t insure this.'”
Tidey said they had money donated specifically to help the uninsured, including $100,000 from one Phoenix family. Help from the United Way and other donations increased their pool to about $2 million.
The next phase for the Yarnell Hill Recovery Group is to help the help 37 homeowners who qualify as underinsured. He estimated each will receive $10,000.
“Our main effort has been to get homes back on the tax rolls to support other things like the fire district and the school district,” he said.
After helping homeowners, the Yarnell Hill Recovery Group plans to create a memorial park within the town.
The lightning-sparked Yarnell Hill Fire is the deadliest in Arizona history, killing 19 members of the Granite Mountain Hotshots. More than 100 homes and 8,000 acres were destroyed.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America