PHOENIX — The Yarnell Hill Recovery Group celebrated a milestone Monday: The ninth and final replacement home has gone up for uninsured residents who lost everything during last year’s deadly wildfire.
“To see the smiles on people’s faces and knowing you’re helping them is just a wonderful feeling,” group chairman Chuck Tidey said.
Tidey said most of the uninsured couldn’t get homeowners insurance before the big fire.
“They (the homes) were built back in the ’20s or ’30s when they had no building codes or inspections and insurance companies would come out and look at them and say, ‘I can’t insure this.'”
Tidey said they had money donated specifically to help the uninsured, including $100,000 from one Phoenix family. Help from the United Way and other donations increased their pool to about $2 million.
The next phase for the Yarnell Hill Recovery Group is to help the help 37 homeowners who qualify as underinsured. He estimated each will receive $10,000.
“Our main effort has been to get homes back on the tax rolls to support other things like the fire district and the school district,” he said.
After helping homeowners, the Yarnell Hill Recovery Group plans to create a memorial park within the town.
The lightning-sparked Yarnell Hill Fire is the deadliest in Arizona history, killing 19 members of the Granite Mountain Hotshots. More than 100 homes and 8,000 acres were destroyed.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick