PHOENIX — The items from a makeshift memorial to Phoenix Police Detective John Hobbs that visitors continue to add to will be given to the slain officer’s family.
Visitors continued to leave messages of condolences, stuffed animals, flowers, balloons, candles and other items at the scene where Hobbs was shot and killed last week at 43rd Avenue and Bethany Home Road.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos said the community support has been overwhelming.
“Out of love for that officer, we will provide all of the written letters and items from the memorial when it’s appropriate,” Martos said. “This has been extremly touching from my perspective and the department’s.”
Hobbs, 43, served for 21 years until he was shot and killed by William Thornton, who was wanted in connection with a Feb. 25 shooting. Detective Albert Casados was also injured in the shooting. He was released from the hospital last week.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas