PHOENIX — Thousands of mourners packed a Peoria church for the funeral of
a Phoenix police officer killed in a shootout with a wanted suspect last week.
Police officers, firefighters and elected officials from throughout Arizona gathered at Christ’s Church of the Valley on Monday morning for the honors funeral of slain Detective John Hobbs.
Dozens of people later lined sections of streets and freeway overpasses for the
10-mile procession to a graveside service in Phoenix.
The 21-year veteran of the Phoenix Police Department was shot and killed a week ago during a confrontation with a suspect in west Phoenix.
Hobbs, 43, left behind a wife, Cathy, and three children.
Burial will take place at Phoenix Memorial Park.
“John is a legacy to us all. To the @phoenixpolice department” to the end John answered the call to duty – Chief Garcia.
— Steve Martos (@SgtMartos) March 10, 2014
Memorial accounts have been established to help Hobbs’ family. Donations can be made at any National Bank of Arizona location by mentioning Hobbs’ name. Desert Schools credit union also has set up a fund. Inform any teller to make a donation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier