PHOENIX — Thousands of mourners packed a Peoria church for the funeral of
a Phoenix police officer killed in a shootout with a wanted suspect last week.
Police officers, firefighters and elected officials from throughout Arizona gathered at Christ’s Church of the Valley on Monday morning for the honors funeral of slain Detective John Hobbs.
Dozens of people later lined sections of streets and freeway overpasses for the
10-mile procession to a graveside service in Phoenix.
The 21-year veteran of the Phoenix Police Department was shot and killed a week ago during a confrontation with a suspect in west Phoenix.
Hobbs, 43, left behind a wife, Cathy, and three children.
Burial will take place at Phoenix Memorial Park.
“John is a legacy to us all. To the @phoenixpolice department” to the end John answered the call to duty – Chief Garcia.
— Steve Martos (@SgtMartos) March 10, 2014
Memorial accounts have been established to help Hobbs’ family. Donations can be made at any National Bank of Arizona location by mentioning Hobbs’ name. Desert Schools credit union also has set up a fund. Inform any teller to make a donation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets