PHOENIX — With the possibility of a Mars mission inching closer and closer to reality, astronaut Mark Kelly is doing his part to keep astronauts healthy.
But he isn’t doing it alone.
Kelly, 50, has an identical twin brother named Scott. Together, they will undergo a unique NASA study that will focus on “the effects of long-term space missions on the human body,” according to TODAY.com. The sub-focus is this: A “what if?” Mars mission.
In 2015, Scott will travel with a Russian cosmonaut and spend a year on the International Space Station, while Mark will stay in Arizona with wife Gabrielle Giffords, a former U.S. House representative.
Blood, saliva, cheek swab, and stool samples will be taken from both brothers at the same times before, during and after the one-year mission to study the effects of long space missions on the human body. Psychological and physical performance tests will also be conducted.
Scott Kelly said a mission to and from Mars could take three years, so participating in this joint study could have immeasurable, positive effects for astronauts on future missions.
Mark Kelly retired from NASA in 2011, after Giffords was shot in the head outside a Tucson grocery store.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl