PHOENIX — With the possibility of a Mars mission inching closer and closer to reality, astronaut Mark Kelly is doing his part to keep astronauts healthy.
But he isn’t doing it alone.
Kelly, 50, has an identical twin brother named Scott. Together, they will undergo a unique NASA study that will focus on “the effects of long-term space missions on the human body,” according to TODAY.com. The sub-focus is this: A “what if?” Mars mission.
In 2015, Scott will travel with a Russian cosmonaut and spend a year on the International Space Station, while Mark will stay in Arizona with wife Gabrielle Giffords, a former U.S. House representative.
Blood, saliva, cheek swab, and stool samples will be taken from both brothers at the same times before, during and after the one-year mission to study the effects of long space missions on the human body. Psychological and physical performance tests will also be conducted.
Scott Kelly said a mission to and from Mars could take three years, so participating in this joint study could have immeasurable, positive effects for astronauts on future missions.
Mark Kelly retired from NASA in 2011, after Giffords was shot in the head outside a Tucson grocery store.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.