PHOENIX — Fear not, avocado lovers. There will be no guac-apocolypse!
Rumors began to circulate that Chipotle, a popular Mexican food chain restaurant, would be pulling guacamole from its menu because of skyrocketing avocado costs associated with the current drought situation in California.
“The supply for 2014 is projected to be above last year and last year was a great year for avocado supply,” said Jan Delyser of the California Avocado Commission.
In addition to the 1.8 billion pounds of fruit imported from countries like Mexico and Peru, California growers are expecting healthy crops this season.
“Our crop is going to be lighter — around 300 million pounds — but it’s based on alternate bearings,” said Delyser. “We’re not attributing it to the drought. When you look at volume from California, historically, 300 (million)- to a 350-million pound crop is considered a normal-sized crop.”
Last year, despite the arid conditions, California growers produced half a billion pounds of avocados. It was one of the largest crops in history.
Meanwhile, consumers shouldn’t see any dramatic changes to the cost of an avocado at the grocery store, unless there is an unexpected spike in demand.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.