PHOENIX — Fear not, avocado lovers. There will be no guac-apocolypse!
Rumors began to circulate that Chipotle, a popular Mexican food chain restaurant, would be pulling guacamole from its menu because of skyrocketing avocado costs associated with the current drought situation in California.
“The supply for 2014 is projected to be above last year and last year was a great year for avocado supply,” said Jan Delyser of the California Avocado Commission.
In addition to the 1.8 billion pounds of fruit imported from countries like Mexico and Peru, California growers are expecting healthy crops this season.
“Our crop is going to be lighter — around 300 million pounds — but it’s based on alternate bearings,” said Delyser. “We’re not attributing it to the drought. When you look at volume from California, historically, 300 (million)- to a 350-million pound crop is considered a normal-sized crop.”
Last year, despite the arid conditions, California growers produced half a billion pounds of avocados. It was one of the largest crops in history.
Meanwhile, consumers shouldn’t see any dramatic changes to the cost of an avocado at the grocery store, unless there is an unexpected spike in demand.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon