PHOENIX — A gun used by a Phoenix teen to kill his ex-girlfriend and then himself, belonged to his older brother.
“It (the gun) was legally possessed and in fact, [it] was in a locked bedroom,” said Phoenix Police Sgt. Tommy Thompson. “It appears that [the boy] broke a window to break into that room from the outside to take that gun.”
Phoenix police said they responded to a 911 call of a shooting around noon
Friday at a house near 39th Drive and Happy Valley Road. Witnesses saw the boy, 15, chase the girl, 16, heard a shot and a friend of the couple saw the boy take his own life.
Police say it’s still unclear what set the boy off. Both victims were students at Sandra Day O’Connor High School.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.