PHOENIX — Police will soon start cracking down on hikers who park their car illegally near Camelback Mountain.
The Echo Canyon and Cholla trails are popular for hikers, especially on weekends and in the early morning. That can cause traffic jams in the area. Signs were erected this week warning police will ticket or tow vehicles along nearby McDonald Drive, where police have received reports of jams.
“Stopping in the middle of the road and blocking traffic has always been not allowed,” said David Urbinato with the Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department. “Now with the signage, and with the fact that cars are blocking traffic, (police) going to be out there more consistently to make sure that traffic keeps moving and neighbors can get in and out of their house. It’s just not safe to have traffic backed up to where it wasn’t meant to be.”
They’ll also ticket drivers who stop in parking lots near the entrance while they wait for parking spots to open up. Urbinato said that if a parking lot is full, motorists must move on and completely leave the parking lot, then return to look for a spot later.
Urbinato offered a suggestion.
“Throw a bike in the car, park your car a few miles away, then bike up to the trailhead,” he said. “We’ve got dozens of bike racks for you to park your bike. You can also have someone drop you off. That way you don’t have to worry about parking. You can just ask them to pick you up in a few hours.”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development