PHOENIX — The Wildlife World Zoo & Aquarium continues its 30-year anniversary celebration with the addition of several animals at its safari park.
The Litchfield Park zoo has added a white African lion, the only one in the Southwest, the zoo said, as well as olive baboons and jackals.
The young female lion will be out for people to see from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Over the next year or so, zoo workers will introduce the lion to a pair of older lions that share the same exhibit. The white lions are different than Albino lions, and are very rare. Their breed has died off significantly because of habitat destruction, lack of food, and human conflict.
The olive baboons are dog-like in appearance with a longer snout, and prefer to walk on all fours. They can weigh up to 100 pounds and can be found in all types of habitats from dry grasslands to rain forests. These are the first baboons in the zoo’s 30-year history.
African jackals prey on small animals and plants and are most common to grasslands.
Zoo hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily; the aquarium is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them