PHOENIX — The Wildlife World Zoo & Aquarium continues its 30-year anniversary celebration with the addition of several animals at its safari park.
The Litchfield Park zoo has added a white African lion, the only one in the Southwest, the zoo said, as well as olive baboons and jackals.
The young female lion will be out for people to see from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Over the next year or so, zoo workers will introduce the lion to a pair of older lions that share the same exhibit. The white lions are different than Albino lions, and are very rare. Their breed has died off significantly because of habitat destruction, lack of food, and human conflict.
The olive baboons are dog-like in appearance with a longer snout, and prefer to walk on all fours. They can weigh up to 100 pounds and can be found in all types of habitats from dry grasslands to rain forests. These are the first baboons in the zoo’s 30-year history.
African jackals prey on small animals and plants and are most common to grasslands.
Zoo hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily; the aquarium is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths