PHOENIX — The Wildlife World Zoo & Aquarium continues its 30-year anniversary celebration with the addition of several animals at its safari park.
The Litchfield Park zoo has added a white African lion, the only one in the Southwest, the zoo said, as well as olive baboons and jackals.
The young female lion will be out for people to see from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Over the next year or so, zoo workers will introduce the lion to a pair of older lions that share the same exhibit. The white lions are different than Albino lions, and are very rare. Their breed has died off significantly because of habitat destruction, lack of food, and human conflict.
The olive baboons are dog-like in appearance with a longer snout, and prefer to walk on all fours. They can weigh up to 100 pounds and can be found in all types of habitats from dry grasslands to rain forests. These are the first baboons in the zoo’s 30-year history.
African jackals prey on small animals and plants and are most common to grasslands.
Zoo hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily; the aquarium is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development