If you’ve switched from beef to fish for Lent, it might actually be saving you some money.
Seafood is a hot seller at Arizona grocery stores right now.
“I think that if you look at any of the major retailers this week, they’re featuring several varieties of fish at great prices, mostly on the front pages of their ads,” said Tim McCabe, president of the Arizona Food Marketing Alliance.
He pointed out some of the bargains that he saw. “There’s great deals on raw shrimp at $7.99 a pound. There’s some good deals on Atlantic Salmon Filets at $6.99 a pound. Cod Filets at $5.99 a pound, and there’s actually some Salmon portions at $2.99 a pound, and Lobster Tails are as low as $3.99 each. There’s some very low prices out there,” McCabe said.
Competition among Arizona supermarkets is causing seafood prices to drop, according to McCabe. “This is the one of the most, if not the most competitive grocery markets in the country,” McCabe said. “You see similar the price of such things as turkey at Thanksgiving. This is what happens during holidays such as we have now in the Lent season.”
By contrast, McCabe says that beef prices are up because of a tight supply caused by bad weather.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier