If you’ve switched from beef to fish for Lent, it might actually be saving you some money.
Seafood is a hot seller at Arizona grocery stores right now.
“I think that if you look at any of the major retailers this week, they’re featuring several varieties of fish at great prices, mostly on the front pages of their ads,” said Tim McCabe, president of the Arizona Food Marketing Alliance.
He pointed out some of the bargains that he saw. “There’s great deals on raw shrimp at $7.99 a pound. There’s some good deals on Atlantic Salmon Filets at $6.99 a pound. Cod Filets at $5.99 a pound, and there’s actually some Salmon portions at $2.99 a pound, and Lobster Tails are as low as $3.99 each. There’s some very low prices out there,” McCabe said.
Competition among Arizona supermarkets is causing seafood prices to drop, according to McCabe. “This is the one of the most, if not the most competitive grocery markets in the country,” McCabe said. “You see similar the price of such things as turkey at Thanksgiving. This is what happens during holidays such as we have now in the Lent season.”
By contrast, McCabe says that beef prices are up because of a tight supply caused by bad weather.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food