If you’ve switched from beef to fish for Lent, it might actually be saving you some money.
Seafood is a hot seller at Arizona grocery stores right now.
“I think that if you look at any of the major retailers this week, they’re featuring several varieties of fish at great prices, mostly on the front pages of their ads,” said Tim McCabe, president of the Arizona Food Marketing Alliance.
He pointed out some of the bargains that he saw. “There’s great deals on raw shrimp at $7.99 a pound. There’s some good deals on Atlantic Salmon Filets at $6.99 a pound. Cod Filets at $5.99 a pound, and there’s actually some Salmon portions at $2.99 a pound, and Lobster Tails are as low as $3.99 each. There’s some very low prices out there,” McCabe said.
Competition among Arizona supermarkets is causing seafood prices to drop, according to McCabe. “This is the one of the most, if not the most competitive grocery markets in the country,” McCabe said. “You see similar the price of such things as turkey at Thanksgiving. This is what happens during holidays such as we have now in the Lent season.”
By contrast, McCabe says that beef prices are up because of a tight supply caused by bad weather.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night