If you’ve switched from beef to fish for Lent, it might actually be saving you some money.
Seafood is a hot seller at Arizona grocery stores right now.
“I think that if you look at any of the major retailers this week, they’re featuring several varieties of fish at great prices, mostly on the front pages of their ads,” said Tim McCabe, president of the Arizona Food Marketing Alliance.
He pointed out some of the bargains that he saw. “There’s great deals on raw shrimp at $7.99 a pound. There’s some good deals on Atlantic Salmon Filets at $6.99 a pound. Cod Filets at $5.99 a pound, and there’s actually some Salmon portions at $2.99 a pound, and Lobster Tails are as low as $3.99 each. There’s some very low prices out there,” McCabe said.
Competition among Arizona supermarkets is causing seafood prices to drop, according to McCabe. “This is the one of the most, if not the most competitive grocery markets in the country,” McCabe said. “You see similar the price of such things as turkey at Thanksgiving. This is what happens during holidays such as we have now in the Lent season.”
By contrast, McCabe says that beef prices are up because of a tight supply caused by bad weather.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development