SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Being in the hospital can be pretty stressful for a child. A Valley hospital uses specialists to act as friends to help them out.
Six-year-old Nyaomi was in the pediatric unit of Scottsdale Healthcare Shea when she had some visitors last night.
“My mom and the Tooth Fairy!” Nyaomi said. “I lost a tooth!”
Nyaomi came to the hospital 13 days ago, suffering from pneumonia and severe asthma. She was able to go home Thursday.
Child Life Specialist Melissa Ladensack has been Nyaomi’s buddy during her say. They’ve spent their time coloring, drawing and playing with dolls.
The dolls are specially-made to help kids who will undergo surgery learn what the doctor’s going to do.
“We can open the doll’s little bellies and show the kids where their appendix is and they can feel what that looks like on the doll,” Ladensack said.
And there are other tools that can help ease a child’s stress.
“We use actual medical items that they can play with in order for them to feel and touch them, and realize that they’re not as scary as they may look,” said Ladensack.
Child Life Specialists accompany the kids during medical procedures to help reduce stress. They are non-medical members of the medical care team.
March is Child Life Specialist month.
Scottsdale Healthcare Shea is offering tours of its pediatric care unit to parents by appointment. For more information, call (480) 882-4000.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them