SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Being in the hospital can be pretty stressful for a child. A Valley hospital uses specialists to act as friends to help them out.
Six-year-old Nyaomi was in the pediatric unit of Scottsdale Healthcare Shea when she had some visitors last night.
“My mom and the Tooth Fairy!” Nyaomi said. “I lost a tooth!”
Nyaomi came to the hospital 13 days ago, suffering from pneumonia and severe asthma. She was able to go home Thursday.
Child Life Specialist Melissa Ladensack has been Nyaomi’s buddy during her say. They’ve spent their time coloring, drawing and playing with dolls.
The dolls are specially-made to help kids who will undergo surgery learn what the doctor’s going to do.
“We can open the doll’s little bellies and show the kids where their appendix is and they can feel what that looks like on the doll,” Ladensack said.
And there are other tools that can help ease a child’s stress.
“We use actual medical items that they can play with in order for them to feel and touch them, and realize that they’re not as scary as they may look,” said Ladensack.
Child Life Specialists accompany the kids during medical procedures to help reduce stress. They are non-medical members of the medical care team.
March is Child Life Specialist month.
Scottsdale Healthcare Shea is offering tours of its pediatric care unit to parents by appointment. For more information, call (480) 882-4000.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees