SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Being in the hospital can be pretty stressful for a child. A Valley hospital uses specialists to act as friends to help them out.
Six-year-old Nyaomi was in the pediatric unit of Scottsdale Healthcare Shea when she had some visitors last night.
“My mom and the Tooth Fairy!” Nyaomi said. “I lost a tooth!”
Nyaomi came to the hospital 13 days ago, suffering from pneumonia and severe asthma. She was able to go home Thursday.
Child Life Specialist Melissa Ladensack has been Nyaomi’s buddy during her say. They’ve spent their time coloring, drawing and playing with dolls.
The dolls are specially-made to help kids who will undergo surgery learn what the doctor’s going to do.
“We can open the doll’s little bellies and show the kids where their appendix is and they can feel what that looks like on the doll,” Ladensack said.
And there are other tools that can help ease a child’s stress.
“We use actual medical items that they can play with in order for them to feel and touch them, and realize that they’re not as scary as they may look,” said Ladensack.
Child Life Specialists accompany the kids during medical procedures to help reduce stress. They are non-medical members of the medical care team.
March is Child Life Specialist month.
Scottsdale Healthcare Shea is offering tours of its pediatric care unit to parents by appointment. For more information, call (480) 882-4000.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier