PHOENIX (AP) — A new trial date has been set for a 15-year-old boy accused of killing a Maricopa County jail officer who authorities say was randomly targeted when he was shot in his driveway.
The trial is scheduled for June 26.
The boy has pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree murder, aggravated assault and drive-by-shooting in the Aug. 8 death of 27-year-old detention officer Jorge Vargas.
Vargas was attacked while working on his car outside his home in Tolleson, near 89th Avenue and Lower Buckeye Road.
He was wearing his uniform, which identified him as a Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office employee. Investigators don’t know what exactly happened before Vargas was shot.
The Associated Press is not naming the boy because of his age.
Vargas worked for the sheriff’s Custody Support Bureau in a jail food factory.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night