Police in Mesa are searching for a suspect who is thought to have been involved in a rash of indecent exposure incidents ranging from January 2012 to February 2014.
According to police, the suspect was investigated in an attempted sexual assault in west Mesa in January 2012. During the incident, the suspect allegedly gained access to the apartment of a female victim, where he exposed himself but fled before completing the assault.
Since that occurrence, the man — described by Mesa police as a thin black male in his early 20s — could have been involved in similar incidents, with several reports of a male suspect exposing himself and masturbating in front of women in apartment complexes in the same area.
“The problem that you have with that is obviously that also can lead to someone breaking in, (resulting) in a sexual assault type of situation,” Mesa Police Department media relations detective Steve Berry told KTAR on Wednesday.
A release sent out Wednesday by the department details how detectives have been working to identify a suspect, but they’re now turning to the public for help.
“It’s certainly a serious type of crime and someone that we would like to find and get into custody.”
Two of the victims of the suspect’s indecent exposures volunteered information about the man to assist in the construction of composite pictures. In addition to his ethnicity, age and build, police believe the man to be between 5-foot-8 and 6-foot-2 with dark curly hair.
Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Mesa Police Department at 480-644-2211 or Silent Witness at 480-Witness.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food