Police in Mesa are searching for a suspect who is thought to have been involved in a rash of indecent exposure incidents ranging from January 2012 to February 2014.
According to police, the suspect was investigated in an attempted sexual assault in west Mesa in January 2012. During the incident, the suspect allegedly gained access to the apartment of a female victim, where he exposed himself but fled before completing the assault.
Since that occurrence, the man — described by Mesa police as a thin black male in his early 20s — could have been involved in similar incidents, with several reports of a male suspect exposing himself and masturbating in front of women in apartment complexes in the same area.
“The problem that you have with that is obviously that also can lead to someone breaking in, (resulting) in a sexual assault type of situation,” Mesa Police Department media relations detective Steve Berry told KTAR on Wednesday.
A release sent out Wednesday by the department details how detectives have been working to identify a suspect, but they’re now turning to the public for help.
“It’s certainly a serious type of crime and someone that we would like to find and get into custody.”
Two of the victims of the suspect’s indecent exposures volunteered information about the man to assist in the construction of composite pictures. In addition to his ethnicity, age and build, police believe the man to be between 5-foot-8 and 6-foot-2 with dark curly hair.
Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Mesa Police Department at 480-644-2211 or Silent Witness at 480-Witness.
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee