PHOENIX — Arizona is racing toward a potentially severe wildfire season after a winter that has been quite dry.
Arizona’s so-called wet season typically runs December through February. Until last weekend, the Valley went 70 days without rain and saw several record highs during January and February.
Flagstaff went 39 days without rain or snow, tying a record set in 1917. Climate scientist Mike Crimmins with the University of Arizona said March could bring some late storms but things start to dry up again in April.
“We will start to lose the opportunity to have these cold winter storms move through the region,” he said. “We’re running out of time. I’m worried that we’re shutting down for the season.”
Crimmins is also concerned because the state’s snowpack is at less than 30 percent of normal.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food