PHOENIX — Arizona is racing toward a potentially severe wildfire season after a winter that has been quite dry.
Arizona’s so-called wet season typically runs December through February. Until last weekend, the Valley went 70 days without rain and saw several record highs during January and February.
Flagstaff went 39 days without rain or snow, tying a record set in 1917. Climate scientist Mike Crimmins with the University of Arizona said March could bring some late storms but things start to dry up again in April.
“We will start to lose the opportunity to have these cold winter storms move through the region,” he said. “We’re running out of time. I’m worried that we’re shutting down for the season.”
Crimmins is also concerned because the state’s snowpack is at less than 30 percent of normal.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development