PHOENIX — Arizona Sen. Steve Gallardo announced Wednesday that he is gay.
“I am gay, I am Latino, I am a state senator and it’s OK,” the senator said.
Gallardo came out just one week after Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed Senate Bill 1062, which would have let businesses deny services to people based on religious beliefs. He said the bill sparked his decision to come out.
“I want to be able to protect what I call my gay and lesbian family and friends,” he said, adding those people were the one who urged him to announce his sexuality.
“I decided over the weekend to share my story, share a side of my life I’ve never had to share before.”
Gallardo had spoken out against SB 1062 before it was vetoed.
“Regardless of the person’s faith, regardless of who the person may love, I think we should be embracing equality,” he said Friday following the veto. “I think discrimination is wrong — let it be a gay or lesbian not agreeing with the faith of someone else — discrimination is wrong and should not be tolerated.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon