PHOENIX — Arizona Sen. Steve Gallardo announced Wednesday that he is gay.
“I am gay, I am Latino, I am a state senator and it’s OK,” the senator said.
Gallardo came out just one week after Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed Senate Bill 1062, which would have let businesses deny services to people based on religious beliefs. He said the bill sparked his decision to come out.
“I want to be able to protect what I call my gay and lesbian family and friends,” he said, adding those people were the one who urged him to announce his sexuality.
“I decided over the weekend to share my story, share a side of my life I’ve never had to share before.”
Gallardo had spoken out against SB 1062 before it was vetoed.
“Regardless of the person’s faith, regardless of who the person may love, I think we should be embracing equality,” he said Friday following the veto. “I think discrimination is wrong — let it be a gay or lesbian not agreeing with the faith of someone else — discrimination is wrong and should not be tolerated.”
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains