PHOENIX — Police surrounded a home near Northern and 43rd avenues early Wednesday morning, and after an hourslong standoff, multiple news reports indicated that
the armed robbery suspect had killed himself.
A handful of neighboring homes were evacuated as authorities began negotiations to bring the man out of the house unharmed. As the standoff entered its fifth hour, the 27-year-old suspect, who has remained unnamed, began responding to officers.
The man was a suspect in the 4:45 a.m. robbery of a sandwich shop near Tatum Boulevard and Bell Road. Police said after the store was robbed the suspect walked to a nearby drugstore and took a cab to the house.
A few hundred dollars were taken in the robbery of the 24-hour shop.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this story.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier