PHOENIX — Police surrounded a home near Northern and 43rd avenues early Wednesday morning, and after an hourslong standoff, multiple news reports indicated that
the armed robbery suspect had killed himself.
A handful of neighboring homes were evacuated as authorities began negotiations to bring the man out of the house unharmed. As the standoff entered its fifth hour, the 27-year-old suspect, who has remained unnamed, began responding to officers.
The man was a suspect in the 4:45 a.m. robbery of a sandwich shop near Tatum Boulevard and Bell Road. Police said after the store was robbed the suspect walked to a nearby drugstore and took a cab to the house.
A few hundred dollars were taken in the robbery of the 24-hour shop.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this story.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them