No longer will lawyers married to a military member have to choose between their career and their married life.
At least not in Arizona.
It’s about where you’re licensed to practice law, and then where your military spouse could be moved.
Military spouse Rachel Winkler has special insight on the change in policy.
“When we got married and my husband was stationed at Fort Benning in Georgia and I passed the bar in Arizona, there weren’t opportunities in Georgia that I could take advantage of, without having to take another bar exam in that state,” said Winkler.
That bar exam could cost thousands of dollars, months of study and time for your application to process. And all of that may go to waste if one’s spouse is re-stationed by the time the application is approved.
“So it’s not ideal right?” she said. “You get married and you’re newlyweds and you really excited to live together and you don’t.”
Winkler is part of the 900-member Military Spouse JD Network, which got a rule passed last year that allows military spouses to temporarily practice law in Arizona, if they’ve already passed the bar elsewhere.
Arizona is one of only six states that have adopted the rule, called Rule 38i. On average, a military family is relocated every two to three years.
Military Spouse JD Network: http://www.msjdn.org/
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America