No longer will lawyers married to a military member have to choose between their career and their married life.
At least not in Arizona.
It’s about where you’re licensed to practice law, and then where your military spouse could be moved.
Military spouse Rachel Winkler has special insight on the change in policy.
“When we got married and my husband was stationed at Fort Benning in Georgia and I passed the bar in Arizona, there weren’t opportunities in Georgia that I could take advantage of, without having to take another bar exam in that state,” said Winkler.
That bar exam could cost thousands of dollars, months of study and time for your application to process. And all of that may go to waste if one’s spouse is re-stationed by the time the application is approved.
“So it’s not ideal right?” she said. “You get married and you’re newlyweds and you really excited to live together and you don’t.”
Winkler is part of the 900-member Military Spouse JD Network, which got a rule passed last year that allows military spouses to temporarily practice law in Arizona, if they’ve already passed the bar elsewhere.
Arizona is one of only six states that have adopted the rule, called Rule 38i. On average, a military family is relocated every two to three years.
Military Spouse JD Network: http://www.msjdn.org/
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food