The ACLU is arguing a case in federal court this week aimed to continue oversight of Maricopa County and the way it handles healthcare in its jails.
In 2008, a federal judge ordered oversight of Maricopa County and its sheriff’s office when it was found the jails were not meeting constitutional minimums in various areas.
MCSO was found to have been violating aspects such as overcrowding and sanitation in pre-trial detainee holding cells, said Legal Director Dan Pochoda for the ACLU.
The county, which controls the health and mental care within the jails, was not adequately providing things such as medical screenings, delivery of services and referrals to hospitals.
After a few years, it was found that MCSO had made improvements to reach the required minimum and the oversight was removed. Now the county is seeking the same treatment.
“The county has made a motion to get out from under the rest of the decree,” Pochoda said. “Our position… is that it is not yet, and it has not yet become adequate delivery of care in these very important areas and as a result unnecessary harms are being inflicted on the detention population.”
Pochoda said they’re seeking the continuation of the court oversight to ensure that the county is working to meet the minimum requirements. The ACLU is presenting its case before Federal Judge Neil Wake through Thursday.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier