The ACLU is arguing a case in federal court this week aimed to continue oversight of Maricopa County and the way it handles healthcare in its jails.
In 2008, a federal judge ordered oversight of Maricopa County and its sheriff’s office when it was found the jails were not meeting constitutional minimums in various areas.
MCSO was found to have been violating aspects such as overcrowding and sanitation in pre-trial detainee holding cells, said Legal Director Dan Pochoda for the ACLU.
The county, which controls the health and mental care within the jails, was not adequately providing things such as medical screenings, delivery of services and referrals to hospitals.
After a few years, it was found that MCSO had made improvements to reach the required minimum and the oversight was removed. Now the county is seeking the same treatment.
“The county has made a motion to get out from under the rest of the decree,” Pochoda said. “Our position… is that it is not yet, and it has not yet become adequate delivery of care in these very important areas and as a result unnecessary harms are being inflicted on the detention population.”
Pochoda said they’re seeking the continuation of the court oversight to ensure that the county is working to meet the minimum requirements. The ACLU is presenting its case before Federal Judge Neil Wake through Thursday.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development