The ACLU is arguing a case in federal court this week aimed to continue oversight of Maricopa County and the way it handles healthcare in its jails.
In 2008, a federal judge ordered oversight of Maricopa County and its sheriff’s office when it was found the jails were not meeting constitutional minimums in various areas.
MCSO was found to have been violating aspects such as overcrowding and sanitation in pre-trial detainee holding cells, said Legal Director Dan Pochoda for the ACLU.
The county, which controls the health and mental care within the jails, was not adequately providing things such as medical screenings, delivery of services and referrals to hospitals.
After a few years, it was found that MCSO had made improvements to reach the required minimum and the oversight was removed. Now the county is seeking the same treatment.
“The county has made a motion to get out from under the rest of the decree,” Pochoda said. “Our position… is that it is not yet, and it has not yet become adequate delivery of care in these very important areas and as a result unnecessary harms are being inflicted on the detention population.”
Pochoda said they’re seeking the continuation of the court oversight to ensure that the county is working to meet the minimum requirements. The ACLU is presenting its case before Federal Judge Neil Wake through Thursday.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them